We are going to create a group project about the Vikings. In class, we have chatted about how to use this blog to help you to research your project. Remember! Everyone will work together on Section A. Everyone may pick one or two topics to research from Section B.
- Use your own words (paraphrase). You may type or use neat handwriting.
- Use labelled pictures (diagrams) and/or sentences to show what you know about Viking life.
- Include a bibliography at the end of your project, listing websites/books you used for research.
SECTION A: Everyone works together on this part
- In your own words, explain why the Vikings left Scandinavia and came to Ireland.
- On a map of Europe, show the countries that Vikings came from: Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- On a map of Ireland, show the places where Vikings settled: Dublin, Limerick, Waterford, Wexford, Cork.
- Explain at least one reason why they chose these were good locations to settle down.
Section B: each girl should pick one or two of these topics
Homes + farms
- What were Viking homes built of?
- Who lived in a Viking home?
- Where did they keep their animals?
- What food did the Vikings produce on their farms?
- What were Viking longboats made of?
- What was special about their appearance?
- What made Viking longboats so good for travelling, raiding and trading?
- What was each member of the family responsible for?
- Draw a labelled picture (diagram) to show what each person wore.
- What did Viking families eat?
- What things did Vikings bring from Scandinavia to trade?
- Where did Vikings travel to for trade?
- What did Vikings use as money?
- Describe some of the explorers and where they went, in your own words.
- Show where they went on a map (of Europe or the world)
- Draw a diagram (labelled picture) to show their appearance.
- Explain what made the Vikings such good warriors and how they attacked
- Describe some of the Viking gods in your own words
- List the days of the week and which of the Viking gods they were named after.
Viking Government: The Thing
- Who was allowed to become a member of the Thing?
- What was discussed/decided at The Thing?
- How were arguments resolved by The Thing?
- What punishments were given by The Thing?
- Explain what runes are in your own words
- Where/When did Vikings use/write runes?
- Write your name in runes.