This week (12th-16th of October) we are celebrating Maths Week in Belgrove Senior Girls’ School. There will be lots of fun Maths activities taking place around the school, including tables competitions, Maths games, Maths Art and a competition between classes to see who can come up with the best Maths door. There will be a trophy awarded to the class with the most creative door so it’s serious business! For more information about Maths Week and to find some fun puzzles to try at home visit https://www.mathsweek.ie/2020/parents-page/ .
Here are some top tips for parents to help foster a love of Maths in their children.
- Encourage drawing whenever you can, especially when it comes to problem solving.
- Use concrete materials. Get the dried pasta or buttons out! Concrete materials can be especially useful when a new concept such as division or multiplication has been introduced.
- Encourage children to work on problems that are challenging to them. Ask them to talk you through their strategy for solving the problem.
- Try introducing your child to fun Maths puzzles.
- Play lots of Maths games. These can be on the computer, tables games in the car, or simple dice games.
- Try to always have a positive attitude towards Maths.